Monday, May 16, 2011

What's under the ice?

I haven't had a lot of time to sit and think about what to write in this little blog of mine.  When I do have time,  that is when I want to shut my brain off.  I've recieved so much information regarding Fairbanks, the state of Alaska, gold mining, the pipeline, etc....it's like the saying about drinking from a fire hose. The top of my head feels like it's blown off and there is no more room!

I did have a thought though, while "break up" was happening, and the snow was melting and revealing all kinds of things that had been hidden all winter. I believe the snow started falling in October last year, and has pretty much dissapated in the last two weeks. 

I  thought of myself as the ground under the snow, underneath layers of propriety, smiles, appropriate clothing and attitudes, the right words to say to the right people....but underneath, am I cold? Unwilling to absorb any warmth from the One who created me? Am I who I am because of what people expect of me? What happens when the snow melts and all the garbage that has been hiding for a long amount of time is exposed?

In Fairbanks, they have set aside a specific day in May, where people in the community come together and "clean up".  The poor thawing ground can't clean itself...but others can help! When I feel I'm at a place where I'm helpless to change....there is hope. Others can help! 

Am I willing to allow people see the real me, the messy me? Or have I clung to my cold exterior, hoping that part of me will never be brought to Light?

Things to ponder...I want to melt....this summer..

3 comments:

  1. Ohhhh Bethie ... this was so good for me to read. So inspirational. I love analogies in the world around us that God gives to help us understand ourselves and Him better. Thank you for sharing ... how good it is to know we have each other to help in the "cleaning up" process!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I'm praying for you. Sounds like God is doing great things. Can't wait though to have you back here. Miss you.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete